Thursday 6 May 2010

Bouldering in Langdale with a shiny new toy

My dad bought a HD camcorder called a Sony Bloggie. I had already planned to go out climbing, but with the new toy I figured I could make a video of my local haunt - the Langdale boulders. I also planned to check out Rakerigg Crag in Langdale as Greg Chapman has recently put a topo for it on his Lakes bloc website. I have to say I thought it was a very good crag despite afew sharp holds. It is about 20-30 degress overhanging with lots of crimps and generally powerful climbing on mostly good rock, well worth a trip if you are in the langdale area and climbing above font 7a. While I didn't get to play at rakerigg for long i did do a font 7b which I was happy with called "The overlap", I came so excruciatingly close to flashing it though. The video I have included shows how close I came on my flash attempt, my fingers are literally on the finishing jug but slip off cause of how greasy they are. Anyway, the camera ran out of battery power so you don't get to see my successful attempt two goes later. I had a few goes on hyper kinetic (7c), this is a fantastic problem with small holds, big moves and quality rock. Didn't manage it but I will definitely be going back for it.

Bouldering at Langdale and Rakerigg from Tom Butterworth on Vimeo.

2 comments:

  1. Picture quality on the video is awesome, good work with the 7b!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The camera only cost £200. I think i'm going to get one a kodak waterproof version for £120

    ReplyDelete